Forty people won't be turned out onto the streets of Penticton for at least two more months after BC Housing stepped forward with a small funding boost to the community's temporary shelter.
In a press release issued on what was going to be the shelter's closure date of March 31, the Penticton and Area Overdose Prevention Society announced that they had bridge funding for two months while longer-term arrangements are worked on.
"What this means is 40 people won't be put out on the streets and that we can continue to make real connections with those suffering," said Desiree Surowski, the society's executive director.
On March 18, Penticton city council gave a reserved approval to extending the temporary use of the property on Warren Avenue in the industrial area until April of 2026, as long as BC Housing provided the funding for it.
The shelter has been a collaboration between the municipal government and community organizations like the Overdose Prevention Society and 100 More Homes.
Preliminary reports provided to city council indicated that 11 people who had used the shelter's services have been connected to support and moved into more permanent housing.
"Since we opened, we've seen the powerful impact that reaching out and providing a place of warmth - literal and figurative - can have on people," said Surowski. "The stats show the story, but they don't tell the story. The change has been profound on those who have found shelter, who received medical treatment or took part in our neighbourhood clean-up. The shelter allowed people to see they have value and are supported."
The shelter was opened in November of 2024 and has so far supported at least 65 individuals, including the 11 who are now transitioned to permanent housing.
City staff and council both expressed hopes when they approved extending the terms of operation that alternatives will be found by 2026 so that the residents aren't turned out onto the street and the shelter is still kept temporary and closed.